<  Suggestions and Features  ~  Live Skipper on HTC EVO

73Javelin
Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Master Chief P.O.
Level 6
I am trying to play LS on my new HTC EVO phone through the web browser. The phone supports Flash and works well on other sites. However as the LS splash page starts to load the text at the bottom reads loading, weather, friends, and then stops and says please login, even when I am already logged in. I can see the Races & Challenges screen and it even acknowledges that I am logged in because when I check from my desktop it says I last visited a race <1 min ago... However I never see the real race screen.

Has anyone else had this problem and know a fix on how to get the actual game screens to load.

Are there any plans to add an Android supported Live Skipper App? It would be GREAT! Thanks!
ino
Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Rear Admiral
Level 15
Administrator
Hello,

It's hard to say why this is happening on your EVO phone. Are you sure the phone uses a full featured Flash Player and not a Lite version with some stuff removed ?

We don't have an EVO phone to test it out so we can't help much about it at the moment.

To answer to your last question, no an Androïd version is not planned at the moment. We agree it would be great, be we have not enough users to plan such a development, yet.

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Rear Admiral
Level 15
Administrator
So I checked out with some of our Android people and they confirmed that your are probably using a Flash Lite version, which lacks some stuff necessary for the game to work.

The full Flash support should become available with Froyo, Android v2.2, which should be available soon. Updated, your phone will probably be able to run the game (they already tried that with a Nexus One running Froyo), BUT the user interface of the game is not at all designed for a smartphone touch screen, and it will probably be really hard to use.

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Master Chief P.O.
Level 6
ino-

Thanks for the info! I will check into the Flash updates when they are available.

now get to work on that android app! Very Happy
Diamanttomi
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Admiral II
Level 19
Is there another access for liveskipper, than flash player?My android 2.1 phone doesn't support flash, and there won't be android upgrade for this phone, so I cannot reach the webpage properly.I just bought this phone to be always connected with liveskipper, but I never thought flash will be so big problem for me.So my question is: will be available a substitute for flash-mode liveskipper? Sad Question
Diamanttomi
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Admiral II
Level 19
Is anybody from the liveskipper staff here?Or my question will never be answered?(that would be pity)
Hallberg
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Admiral II
Level 19
Joined: 24 Jun 2009 Posts: 11058 Location: Tournieres, Basse Normandie. (and England) FR
Not on a friday night Mate....

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:54 am Reply with quote
Admiral IV
Level 21
Diamanttomi wrote:
Is there another access for liveskipper, than flash player?My android 2.1 phone doesn't support flash, and there won't be android upgrade for this phone, so I cannot reach the webpage properly.I just bought this phone to be always connected with liveskipper, but I never thought flash will be so big problem for me.So my question is: will be available a substitute for flash-mode liveskipper? Sad Question

Hi Diamonttomi

I do not know exactly how it works but what I do know is that LiveSkipper needs a flash player.
Even out dated flashplayers on computers might give problems and you see many post on the issue of always having downloaded the latest flash player.
Now it is nice you buy a new phone to get LS on the mobile, but LS has only so far stated that there is an App. for Iphones available.

other mobiles so far have not been mentioned in LS to work correctly.

I am not aware of all these new phones, apps etc, as I am already lucky that I can receive and make a phone call with my mobile, and recently I learned to work with SMS.
But if you buy a new one with the intention to play LS on it, I would tell the shop keeper and ask the shopkeeper to proof that it works before buying one.
that test I was doing lately before I was buying a new notebook Laughing

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Admiral II
Level 19
Thanks for the replies Razz

The fact is that our cellphone shops are not too clever, not even know what is flash player.
On the other side, I read about my new phone before I bought it, and I am able to download a Flash, 10.1 version.But it doesn't support flash in browsers (plugin), because its hardware is not compatible with it.And Android 2.1 is the last version for this model, never ever will be updated, so I was searching for another solution.Next time I will be more wise.

Regards, Tom Smile
Suratna
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote
Admiral IV
Level 21
Liveskipper on Android.

I have a new phone with the Android 2.3.6 O.S. It has also a working flash player.

as it is working nicely with the VORG , I thought to try it out with LS.

via the web-browswer I called up the LS game and it works. the game loaded , about same time to load as on my computer.
for forum and ranking lists it is quiet reasonable to do, though the letters are small.

the Game is difficult as it is all too small.
However, with the zoom function , I was able to engage the ruler. To set a mark and to swop heading on the boat. I was able to change sails as well.

And as said a phone screen is too small to be able to easy handle your boat. In emergencies, however, I know now that a heading change, (to avoid grounding, or to prevent missing a gate) a sail change , to engage scheduler or Waypoints is all possible

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Admiral II
Level 19
Suratna wrote:
Liveskipper on Android.

I have a new phone with the Android 2.3.6 O.S. It has also a working flash player.

Me too.Fortunately LS runs on it fine Smile
It uses a lot of data to load the race (approx. 3MB for just viewing a race).
So the mobile internet service subsciption won't do.But on Wi-fi it will be fine Smile
Anyway, is that possible to make a lighter flash version for smartphones?
Sowslo
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Admiral
Level 17
Hopefully they will replace the Flash with HTML5. Then it will work on any screen without having to worry about using apps.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote
Admiral IV
Level 21
Hi Diamanttomi

Good to hear that you have found an upgrade and LS , though slow, is working on your new phone.

I don't know about a lite version or a specific App to come; I actually do not expect it.
And as Sowslo says that HTML5 in future may replace flash all together , it could be possible even that the desktop player has to be converted to HTML5 ; that will make it most likely easier also to use on phones or tablets.

But for now , flash is required.

BTW: lately I have a lot of crashes with the flashplayers on Firefox and Chrome, anyone else has these problems? ; or will it be my old computer Rolling Eyes

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote
Admiral II
Level 19
Hi all Smile
Suratna wrote:

BTW: lately I have a lot of crashes with the flashplayers on Firefox and Chrome, anyone else has these problems? ; or will it be my old computer Rolling Eyes

I use chrome, and it can consume a lot of RAM, if I load and stay on a race course.But crash is occuring only when I load multiple flash sites.Then I reload chrome, and keep sailing Smile
Sowslo
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote
Admiral
Level 17
Suratna, if your system allows you to see it easily, look to see if you browser claims a lot of RAM for the Flash plugin when you are not using any Flash.

On Mac OSX some browsers breed RAM usage unless I regularly remove the plugin from memory.

At the very least I need to clear the plugin from RAM after each grib update. Also if I need to do a lot of zooming in and out near a shoreline.

If I forget to manage RAM, the browser can easily consume over 1 Gb of RAM. And Flash seems to struggle at these levels.