[ 10 ]  27%

Total Votes : 37
ChrisBSS
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote
Junior Seaman

Level 1

0 / 400
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 10 Dec 2007 Posts: 472
The game management (Betomorrow) has asked superskippers what we think about slowing the overall boat speeds down. New polars have been proposed that would retard speeds in the higher wind ranges depending on wind angle and what sails were being used but would retain the peak speed of 30kn - hopefully making the game more accurate and allowing the real fleet to stay in touch with us.

As yet full details are not available, and on the basis of earlier posts by admin I think we can assume

1. The polars will be tested outside the game first (so we should be able to tell you how they look

2. The polars once agreed, will be published

Could you please vote whether you think this is a good Idea.

Yes - If you think admin should continue down this line
No - if you think admin should take a different approach

Attach any comments as well.

I will take the result back to the SS forum on Monday and vote there according to your response.

My recommendation (for what it is worth) is to vote YES
fatboyfat
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
Petty Officer

Level 4

1182 / 1531
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 13 Nov 2007 Posts: 14
Hi ChrisBSS. Dare I suggest you post this in the routing section. You will get a lot more views and it is about routing.
Keep up the good work!
fatboyfat-somewhere in the southern ocean
voodoobitch
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Master Chief P.O.

Level 6

239 / 3079
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 12 Nov 2007 Posts: 332 Location: the Netherlands
I voted yes as far as the boat speeds are concerned. I have given up on different sails and wrecking for using a spinnaker in gale force winds.

However, sorting out the grib updates and wind discrepencies is more important at this moment I think.
loco tibenou
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Admiral II

Level 19

46655 / 175000
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 17 Nov 2007 Posts: 1776 Location: Ploermel 56 - France FR
voodoobitch wrote:
I voted yes as far as the boat speeds are concerned. I have given up on different sails and wrecking for using a spinnaker in gale force winds.

However, sorting out the grib updates and wind discrepencies is more important at this moment I think.

I agree. This is the primary issue to be fixed.
No matter the polars are, they are the same for all of us.
But optimizing our road from a good use of REAL weather forecasting is the real challenge.

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:19 am Reply with quote
Master Chief P.O.

Level 6

29 / 3079
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 11 Nov 2007 Posts: 76 Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
(1) Boats speeds - I think the Polars should stay as they are and just introduce top wind speeds for sails. So if it is blowing too much and you have you spinnaker up then you broach and get wrecked or slow down to 5knots. Same with the Genoa going to windward. Otherwise what is the jib for? Decoration? That would be an easy programmining change. Just need to publish the sail limits.

(2) Weather - I think the current weather is fine. It is quite realistic. I have sailed many ocean crossings and have used grib files and they very rarely match what is experienced. So normally the direction is +/- 30Deg and the windspeed is +/- 5-10knots of the gribs. But many days it is the complete opposite direction or 5 knots when there should be 20! Maybe just have an update every 3 hours over a 24 hour period. But also throw in some randomness like in real life.