<  Help and Support  ~  Information on WP program and Scheduler in LS Beta player

pam86
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Commodore
Level 14
Joined: 28 May 2008 Posts: 5225 Location: Santiago,Chile CL
Hallberg wrote:
Early School physics JP, easy..
Like in real Sailing, you lean the boat over too much, it slows down (that's the Drag Vs waterline coefficient, defeated by canting keels, Fabrice will agree)

Mine is fixed, optimum angle of Heel, 22degrees. Wink
and at 23° the speed lowers by ???

JP
FALCONbe
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Captain
Level 13
Joined: 12 Nov 2007 Posts: 5123 Location: Veurne - Belgium BE
In a real sailing situation it is absolutely impossible to sail a straight course and to keep a constant wind angle and heel...

In heavy weather on a JOD35 best speed is when the bases of the skepters becomes wet...

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Commander
Level 12
Yes Fabrice, On Red Machine, (JOD35) we run her Rail down, But she has a racing Profile, and of course, as you say, every wave will affect your course....
On my 'Wine Glass' heavy profile cruising Hull, the Coefficient is totally different, JP, the extra degree of heel slows the boat .75 of a knot, which on a 72hr passage for me is an extra 9hrs...With tides, that can make the difference between Fun and Misery.
(Hallberg)

pam86
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Commodore
Level 14
Joined: 28 May 2008 Posts: 5225 Location: Santiago,Chile CL
AutreFemme wrote:
Yes Fabrice, On Red Machine, (JOD35) we run her Rail down, But she has a racing Profile, and of course, as you say, every wave will affect your course....
On my 'Wine Glass' heavy profile cruising Hull, the Coefficient is totally different, JP, the extra degree of heel slows the boat .75 of a knot, which on a 72hr passage for me is an extra 9hrs...With tides, that can make the difference between Fun and Misery.
(Hallberg)
Hence, the conclusion is that in LS or in the real life +/- 1° is VERY important Smile

JP