<  Help and Support  ~  [Tool] Path / gate intersection

Veloce Origine CM
Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:14 am Reply with quote
Rear Admiral
Level 15
Joined: 04 Oct 2012 Posts: 2209 Location: Messimy (69) de Auray (56) FR
It is not always easy to visually check if our path will cross or not a gate or reach it.

For this purpose I wrote these Excel lines which will allow you to verify it by entering the coordinates of your origin, destination as well as the two buoys.

You have to enter your 4 points in the green and yellow cells. The coordinates of your lines intersection will appear in the blue area. If the common point of your lines belongs to the two segments, the result will be TRUE, FALSE otherwise.

NB 1 : This calculus négligects the effect of Loxodromia/Orthodromia and shall not be used over long distances.

NB 2 : personal routine without Live Skipper warranty !

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:42 am Reply with quote
Commodore
Level 14
Joined: 28 May 2008 Posts: 5225 Location: Santiago,Chile CL
Veloce Origine CM wrote:
It is not always easy to visually check if our path will cross or not a gate or reach it.

For this purpose I wrote these Excel lines ...

Nice job, thanks.

May I suggest that you change the label "Projection" in the sheet by "Destination" like in your text or "next mark" or "mark beyond the gate" ?
Perhaps better and more secure to hide and block all the cells which will be not used to enter data ?

Could you explain : "the common point of your lines"

I suppose that all this is correct ever if a gate crosses over the fatal 0° or 180° meridians Smile

What about the Ice gates which have not the similar behavior than "standard" gates?

"Cerise sur le gateau"; a small graphic ? Wink

JP
Veloce Origine CM
Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
Rear Admiral
Level 15
Joined: 04 Oct 2012 Posts: 2209 Location: Messimy (69) de Auray (56) FR
pam86 wrote:
Perhaps better and more secure to hide and block all the cells which will be not used to enter data ?
This was just a simple routine. I did not have time for a full clean development. For instance, it does not work when both your longituds (origin / destination) or both your latituds or equal.
pam86 wrote:
Could you explain : "the common point of your lines"
Where the lines cross (the intersection of the two lines defined by the 4 points).
pam86 wrote:
What about the Ice gates which have not the similar behavior than "standard" gates?
Easy : the ice gates always have a fixed latitud, so you just need to compare your destination with the buoys. No need for a routine for that.
pam86 wrote:
"Cerise sur le gateau"; a small graphic ?
Later maybe ... (too busy).

By the way, you have the same post under the French forum.