<  Help and Support  ~  Newbie

thehornets58
Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:42 am Reply with quote
Chief Petty Officer
Level 5
Still trying to get the hang of this, the buttons at the bottom?? The one that says pol... can u explain it please and what does the red line mean on the map when I use it..... Thanks Alan
Suratna
Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:54 am Reply with quote
Admiral III
Level 20
Hallo Alan o/b thehornets58

your newbie topic has been moved to the Help and Support topic, where it will get more attention from other skippers looking for help.

First of All , thanks for your questions. I like to point you to our Wiki, (via the HELP menu all in the top, and choose "check out the Wiki", or use this link http://www.liveskipper.com/wiki ; as it will answer a lot of questions you may have.

To answer your questions, I have some problems as your questions are not fully clear to me, but I try to answer some.
Quote:
the buttons at the bottom?? The one that says pol...

I cannot find a button at the bottom of the game screen "pol.."?
I cannot find a button at the forum page, stating "pol.." ?
Or, while making a New Topic, it could be the option to add a "Poll" question to your post Question
This is optional and gives you the option to add a Poll question to your post. This will allow other skippers to vote for one of the questions/options you have specified.
http://www.liveskipper.com/wiki/doku.php?id=en:faq:forum&s[]=poll#what_is_a_poll_for

Code:
what does the red line mean on the map when I use it.....

the map has several lines that can have a red, or other color. so lets make an image which makes it easy to explain; and I hope your red line is explained Wink

OK lets see:
the red line in the image is actually more a red curve, butterfly or in sailors terms "Polar Projection". the shown line is an indication for my boat for the distance Paradise can sail in 3hrs(selected in Projections, which can be changed between 0-24 hrs) in any direction, with the selected sail, now the Stay Sail. There will be a red line for each 3 hrs projection, within the chosen duration.
the orange line is the Ruler, a very powerful tool that helps you navigating your boat. Also see the Ruler window, on the right side of the screen with more detailed information. The ruler is controlled by the mouse, it can be fixed by a mouse click and released by another one, to relocate. If you engage the autoheading, the straight ruler will change to a thin line and a curve (wind dependent) line will indicate the Ruler.
the white line behind the boat indicates the route the boat has sailed. If you click another boat, the track will have a yellowish color.
the thin green line is the route your boat will follow with the heading you have chosen, till the duration you set for the Polar Projections
The Finish line is invitingly green, to show where to cross it to finish a race and start the Party. Mind you this line is red as long the finish is not the next target. Similarly each Gate has a line that is green, when it is the next Gate to pass, but is red when you have validated that Gate already or when it is a gate to follow the actual target gate.
The green Gate/Finish line will switch to red at the moment your Boat has correctly passed a Gate/Finish line; that is a good check to be sure.
the purple line is the route you have selected beyond the duration of the Polar Projection, and also in between the different marks set on the purple Scheduler.

I hope the line in question is amongst the ones explained, if not please specify in more detail what line you have questions on.

Sail well, and if you have any more questions , do not hesitate to ask,as we are too happy to answer and it is the fastest way to learn.

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Chief Petty Officer
Level 5
thanks for your help, I think I've got it..... I hope
Mr Meebles
Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Commodore
Level 14
Joined: 11 Jul 2008 Posts: 1968 Location: ZhengZhou, China CN
By Jove, I think he's got it...

Welcome to LS, Hornet - Send particulars in introduction Cool