<  New players  ~  New member

thehornets58
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:18 am Reply with quote
Chief Petty Officer
Level 5
Hi, I've just joined, and finished the Friday race, and have seen other races to join, is the Friday the one most people sail in ??
Kodaline CM
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:15 am Reply with quote
Admiral I
Level 18
Hello I'm French but Welcome in LS !
No, some people race in long race as Maverrick Race.
@+

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote
Chief Petty Officer
Level 5
I've seen other races to register, have they already started as I can't see any other people at the start? .....Alan
Kodaline CM
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:32 am Reply with quote
Admiral I
Level 18
Yes all race are started...

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:11 am Reply with quote
Admiral II
Level 19
Joined: 24 Jun 2009 Posts: 11057 Location: Tournieres, Basse Normandie. (and England) FR
Welcome to the dark side Hornet.... Cool
We have FR's, AFR's,(alternative Friday races) on sunday's and AAFR's (Alt alt FR's) on mondays. The races use the latest FR course with a few extra gates thrown in to make it more interesting Laughing Check the Forums for these races. (You will have to register some spare boats)

Go into the Game list and it will show you all the current races and time trial challenges which are great to practice in Wink

Today's AFR starts at 1100 GMT in the South africa FR course...

Any Q's, gimme a shout....Russ

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote
Admiral III
Level 20
Hallo thehornets58

WELCOME thehornets58 to the Fantastic world of Virtual Sailing in LIVESKIPPER Laughing

You have chosen the best Virtual Sailing player on the WorldWideWeb. There are already many more sailors from UK and you will soon meet them Smile

I hope you like LiveSkipper (LS) and will sail long time with us the races and challenges, maybe even an adventures cruise through the Arctics Rolling Eyes

I see you finished already this weekends FR, well done. Each Friday a new FR will start, short 1-2 days races with the best 18 from a 24 race season will make the Overall ranking.

At this moment there is a long Sailing Race on-going that started some 2 sweeks back and has another 2-3 weeks to go. See the Autumn programs schedule on the Mainpage to see the coming races.

I do not know your experience in Sailing but LS offers a nice, clear and short tutorial if you register for your first race. Just click the button in the blue welcome screen.

For the basics of Sailing in LiveSkipper Virtual game, you may have a quick look at the Beginners tutorial that will help in getting the right buttons in view. If you are an experienced sailor , than quickly switch to the advanced mode to have all LiveSkipper (LS) tools for the optimum results.
Sailing is not that difficult but a lot more interesting, pleasant and depending on the weather challenging Wink

I foresee a warm welcome from other players and hope you will find your way in sailing with us and competing with us. Do visit our Racebar in the Tavern compartment [http://www.liveskipper.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5423] for a drink, a joke, and some news not always directly related to the races.

A lot of information you will find in the WIKI http://www.liveskipper.com/wiki and in this Forum.
Topics as Dev. Corner give some new facilities and updates from the game developers, in the English Forum the topics of
LiveSkipper Suggestions & Features give some detailed insight in the game and discussion to optimize your sailing,
Help and Support where questions are asked and mostly proper answers given mostly in a couple of hours but never longer than a day,
Races you will find the topics on races and other stuff.

Each Friday LS organizes a short FR race, very good to learn the strategies of the cracks by just follow their course. Laughing
There is most times an "Alternative FR" however, with a small group of befriend sailors, check it out http://www.liveskipper.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6026 Try it out. The links to join races are on the main page as well as the RACE&CHALLENGES page , which is under the GAME menu. And even on the Monday an alternative sailing race to this alternative sailing race Rolling Eyes http://www.liveskipper.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6449&start=1215 ; you will need a 2nd boat however as you sail your prime boat already in the FR

To learn the sailing in LS, the best way is: TO SAIL and ASK all questions you might have and no doubt in short time you can sail with the best Wink
and remember: there is no stupid question, or maybe just that one not asked Rolling Eyes

any questions : ASK ,, you will have an answer in a couple of hours mostly but never longer than a day.

Fair winds

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Admiral III
Level 20
Joined: 27 Aug 2009 Posts: 1300 Location: If you haven't been there, I wouldn't suggest going...just left, my apologies for the carnage...!
I have to add a hello and welcome Hornet, to the virtual chasm and best sailing on the web that is LiveSkipper, glad to have you!
You will find most are avid sailors. Some seasoned on many oceans, some not so experienced but avid, and a few that could use some seasoning of another sort....but that is another tale!

It is beneficial to enter a Challenge, and simply pick a destination of your chosing and simply sail using the tools to hone your skills. practice setting shceduler, waypoints, and sail changes to see the performance and learn.
One key ingredient is the updates/timing of the wind. Winds are updated (more or less) on the 3 hour schedule, starting at 0hours GMT. Every three hours the game updates to the NOAA gribs, which are updated daily on a 6 hour (correct me if I'm wrong) schedule. Sometimes wind patterns change dramatically from what you may see using the time buttons lower left with the grib updates. This can stall your boat in irons not being able to reach a waypoint or schedule mark when anticipated. Sail performance is affected as well under the same circumstances. Plan accordingly.

There are many sailors in LS willing to assist, and as Suratna says, no question is a lame one unless not asked...have fun most of all!
Welcome to the world of LS, and when in doubt, hove to and go below for a beer!
Cheers!