<  Help and Support  ~  Wind display is incorrect

limelight
Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:02 am Reply with quote
Commodore
Level 14
Picture taken in the Valparaiso race after the major forecast update.
The wind shown on the control panel at the right says 2.1kn /233 degree, but the wind field shown where the boat is says 2.1 knots / 293 degrees.
The trajectories are based on the latter but the boat moves according to the former. Please explain!

[/quote]

Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:22 am Reply with quote
Admiral III

Level 20

118097 / 225000
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 01 Mar 2013 Posts: 5316 Location: Près de l'Autodrome de Montlhéry FR
I am not very surprised ... your boat seems exactly in the center of a rotating wind system, with anticyclonic conditions .... probably if you moved a little, very few, your mouse, the wind direction will have changed a lot ...

But you raised a question .... a never succeed to answer (because it depends of the boat picture too )....
When you display with "your boat alone", you have an accurate idea of your boat position, a small cross.
When you display your full boat representation .... more difficult to know the exact position

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Ils ne savaient pas que c'était impossible, alors ils l'ont fait.
Mark Twain
limelight
Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:45 am Reply with quote
Commodore
Level 14
No, I tried with the mouse at the boat and all around it (close) and the wind was with a bearing of 293, but the display on the control showed 233 and the boat was moving on the basis of this value.

So I had a trace line at a TWA of 130 (as I recall) which on the screen left the boat at 63 degrees, but the boat itself was moving at a heading of 3 degrees.

I first assumed I had forgotten to reload the game at 00 UTC, but after reloading (and even clearing the cache just to be sure), same 60 degree discrepancy. So it was impossible to program a route, the boat refused to follow the WPs.

Just look at the light blue line leaving the boat at 60 odd degrees, then turning north and look at the boat which is moving north. Ignore the WP and the yellow line, I had turned off the programming by then.

So I controlled by hand and the further north I went, the lesser the problem became. it only disappeared at the 03:00 update (minor update). I can only conclude that the grib file contained an error (or the one on the game server had the error) but certainly there were 2 different wind systems, one used by my laptop and one by the game server. I wonder if Kingfisher had the same problem as he sailed through the same spot just before the 03 UTC update.

John

Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:10 am Reply with quote
Admiral III

Level 20

118097 / 225000
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 01 Mar 2013 Posts: 5316 Location: Près de l'Autodrome de Montlhéry FR
Well ... OK John, thanks for all your explanations ... and agree .. after reading your message, that there should have a grib bug, most probably ...

I am not so good in IT to understand the reasons deeply ... Confused Confused

Fairs winds to you ... that's a true word !!! Laughing Laughing

Ils ne savaient pas que c'était impossible, alors ils l'ont fait.
Mark Twain