<  New players  ~  Hello Live Skippers!

Whitbyweather
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Chief Petty Officer
Level 5
Hi,
I am new to Live Skipper and a refugee from VR sfter seven years. Very pleased to find a well thought out game and looking forward to making new friends.
Best wishes,
Chris Cool
PS Any suggestions for routing programs would be gratefully received, I am missing Zezo!

Last edited by Whitbyweather on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Admiral II

Level 19

109312 / 175000
Superskipper
Whitbyweather wrote:
Hi,
I am new to Live Skipper and a refugee from VR sfter seven years. Very pleased to find a well thought out game and looking forward to making new friends.
Best wishes,
Chris Cool
PS Any suggestions for routing programs would be gratefully received, I am missing Zezo!

Hi Chris, welcome aboard. I confess to using VR before, but vacated that platform for good a while ago.
I used to sail with the NMS groups on the Volvo Ocean Race, that used VR, and used FB as their group communications... were you a member of any of that ?

cheers

Glenn

PS will help all i can with different aspects of using the playing platform.
The Liveskipper wiki is here http://www.liveskipper.com/wiki/doku.php?id=en:start

Sometimes until you get used to some of the functions; to get to grips with using one thing at a time, then bolt them together.... everyone is different.

Whitbyweather
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Chief Petty Officer
Level 5
Hello Glenn,
Thank you very much for your warm welcome. I became a very keen Sailor on VR some years ago when I develpoed rheumatoid arthritis. I am now housebound and virtual sailing is a great outlet for me.
Unfortunately VR has recently been turned into an expensive arcade style game and there is a mass exodus of players at the moment. I found Live Skipper and the game looks perfect for me. I will be telling all my old friends about LS and hoping they will join us.
I have found the game interface very user friendly but I have a lot to learn, if I get stuck I will drop you a line!
Thanks again for saying hello,
Kind regards,
Chris

Last edited by Whitbyweather on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Admiral II

Level 19

109312 / 175000
Superskipper
Whitbyweather wrote:
Hello Glenn,
Thank you very much for your warm welcome. I became a very keen Sailor on VR some years ago when I develpoed rheumatoid arthritis. I am now housebound and virtual sailing is a great outlet for me.
Unfortunately VR has recently been turned into an expensive arcade style game and there is a mass exodus of players at the moment. I found Live Skipper and the game looks perfect for me. I will be telling all my old friends about LS and hoping they will join us.
I have found the game interface very user friendly but I have a lot to learn, if I get stuck I will drop you a line!
Thanks again for saying hello,
Kind regards,
Chris

I had heard about a raft of changes they had made to the interface on there, and a lot of people were unhappy. VR do have a track record of not listening to those that play their game...their motivation is more to money than sailing. Anyway ... if you can persuade more of those to join us more the merrier.

There are 3 main forums as you have found the English speaking EF, the French forum is the most busy ( it is a French administered website). and the Spanish forum.
The EF tends to actually be quite multinational.

I had better point out one thing. On every race, you can select the "open" or "passion" categories. If selecting "Open", you can use any external aid you wish. If using "Passion", only the navigational aids you can use, are supplied in the Liveskipper game interface.
There is an EF fleet friendly league - per race... to be automatically entered, you would have to be in the passion category ...most of us are anyway.

Lastly , we are emulating the Volvo Ocean Race, with our own... see the 9 Pack topic in the "races" section....next leg starts on Sunday. If you want to know how to get your boat there, and join in...let me know.

Whitbyweather
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Chief Petty Officer
Level 5
Many thanks for your wisdom Glenn, I have been reading through the forums and thinking hard about using a router and I think I will join the "Passion" group.
I am quite unwell and I think I will be much happier just using the resources of the game. Also I don't feel able to put the effort into the VOR for long periods so I will leave that to the experts!
I have declared as an open competitor in the two races I am trying out, can I change these to passion?
Finally I am battling with setting up the scheduler, is ther a tutorial you could recommend please?
Thanks again,
Chris

Last edited by Whitbyweather on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Admiral II

Level 19

109312 / 175000
Superskipper
Whitbyweather wrote:
Many thanks for your wisdom Glenn, I have been reading through the forums and thinking hard about using a router and I think I will join the "Passion" group.
I am quite unwell and I think I will be much happier just using the resources of the game. Also I don't feel able to put the effort into the VOR for long periods so I will leave that to the experts!
I have declared as an open competitor in the two races I am trying out, can I change these to passion?
Finally I am battling with setting up the scheduler, is ther a tutorial you could recommend please?
Thanks again,
Chris

Hi Chris,
I think you will find the Passion selection quite seemless. Afraid you cannot change option from one category to another during a race, but don't worry to much, just use them as experience.
The Scheduler is perhaps the most challenging of the two routing option. Scheduler uses purple marks, the Waypoint uses green.
Try this for examples of sheduler. https://www.youtube.com/embed/hfWXugEhRUY
or here to navigate various options http://www.liveskipper.com/wiki/doku.php?id=en:sailing

Basically, You set you marks when you click on the "Ruler" at the top to make it Orange. This enables you to create marks.
I always leave the "Projection" ( next to "Ruler" )..on 24 hours projection. ie looking 24 hours ahead.
You can set marks to coincide with the wind changes at 00h, 03h, 06, 09h 12h,15h,18h, 21h.
Major wind updates come in every 6 hours, at 00h, 06h, 12h, 18h....the others in between are small wind updates. - these updates are apparent in the game approx 1 hour before ...
Get your head around some of those things ...
Are you familiar with TWA headings ? - sorry if this is sucking eggs

limelight
Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:17 am Reply with quote
Commodore
Level 14
Hi Chris,

Welcome to LS!

Like you, I am a deserter from VR. I like LS a lot and I don't intend to retrun to VR ever.

I have some VMC/VMG calculators (see www button below my signature) and for routing I use SailGRIB (French router that I use when sailing and that works reasonably well also for LS). I have generated the .pol files that it requires for some of the boats. If you use SailGRIB I'll gladly share those files with you or anyone else that wants them.

Cheers,

John

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
Chief Petty Officer
Level 5
Good morning Glenn and many thanks for all the help and information. I have managed to use the scheduler now and the wind update times are just what I needed. Smile
I am familiar with the auto heading tool but I need to learn more about navigating without a router!
Have a good day,
Chris

Last edited by Whitbyweather on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:05 am Reply with quote
Chief Petty Officer
Level 5
Hi John,
Many thanks for saying hello and for the very useful links to navigation tools. I have always used Zezo on VR and now I need to wake up and learn how to do my own calculations!
It will take me a while but if I get stuck I will drop you a line if that is ok.
Thanks again for your help,
Best wishes,
Chris

Last edited by Whitbyweather on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
Vice Admiral

Level 16

5695 / 21965
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 06 Aug 2013 Posts: 1076 Location: Loire Forez FR
Whitbyweather wrote:
Good morning Glenn and many thanks for all the help and information. I have managed to use the scheduler now and the wind update times are just what I needed. Smile
I am familiar with the auto heading tool but I need to learn more about navigating without a router!
Have a good day,
Chris

Hello Chris, as John i am a deserter from VR and i don't want to return in this lottery game...
for the wind go here : http://www.liveskipper.com/wiki/doku.php?id=en:sailing:wind

Fair winds.

Andrew.

PS : don't ask me anything else, i don't speak english Mr. Green
Kingfisher 829
Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote
Admiral II

Level 19

109312 / 175000
Superskipper
Whitbyweather wrote:
Have a good day,
Chris

Morning Chris,
Perhaps this is where an element of luck or skill comes into the picture.

When you have created your marks, and set the Scheduler to "on"...you have noticed thay all go purple. And a feature that is usually used with the Purple marks..is that auto heading, which helps consistent sailing TWA courses.
If you have the "Projection" set to 24 hrs, as you click on subsequent marks from your boat...you will also see the projections of course according to the wind ahead..

So in other words..if some of those lines of the projector are close together - it indicates low wind.
Very useful , because sometimes you just wouldn't realise.

More to the point..at each mark you click on, going ahead of your boat...notice the Weather Forecast in the lower left corner...if your marks are 3 hrs apart, at each one you click on, the next circle in the Forecast goes orange...So you can set a mark up to 7 days away....( not that it may be reliable obviously), but an indicator.

limelight
Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
Commodore
Level 14
Kingfisher 829 wrote:
Whitbyweather wrote:
Have a good day,
Chris

Morning Chris,
Perhaps this is where an element of luck or skill comes into the picture.

When you have created your marks, and set the Scheduler to "on"...you have noticed thay all go purple. And a feature that is usually used with the Purple marks..is that auto heading, which helps consistent sailing TWA courses.
If you have the "Projection" set to 24 hrs, as you click on subsequent marks from your boat...you will also see the projections of course according to the wind ahead..

So in other words..if some of those lines of the projector are close together - it indicates low wind.
Very useful , because sometimes you just wouldn't realise.

More to the point..at each mark you click on, going ahead of your boat...notice the Weather Forecast in the lower left corner...if your marks are 3 hrs apart, at each one you click on, the next circle in the Forecast goes orange...So you can set a mark up to 7 days away....( not that it may be reliable obviously), but an indicator.

Correct... but remember that the isochrones shown by the "projection" tool are only for the sail that you have selected at this particular WP. They may be close together because the wind is weak or because in this direction another sail would be more appropriate. But overall, the tools in LS are far better than those in VR.

John

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Chief Petty Officer
Level 5
Thanks for all your imputs and I agree entirely that the tools are far superior to VR. The only thing I would like to see is the heading of other sailor's boats!

Last edited by Whitbyweather on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Admiral II

Level 19

109312 / 175000
Superskipper
Whitbyweather wrote:
Thanks for all your imputs and I agree entirely that the tools are far superior to VR. The only thing I would like to see is the heading of other sailor's boats!

Very Happy i think that is part of making your own tactics, in not knowing exactly what the opposition is doing Wink

Smiticks
Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Vice Admiral

Level 16

5695 / 21965
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 06 Aug 2013 Posts: 1076 Location: Loire Forez FR
Whitbyweather wrote:

you can guess it according to the speed and the wind...