[ 47 ]  68%

Total Votes : 69
fatboyfat
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Petty Officer

Level 4

1182 / 1531
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 13 Nov 2007 Posts: 14
I vote for auto pilot. I will make my life easier but still leaves the fun of routing , which is the point of the game. The gibs sure , are not perfect but who cares if you have an auto pilot. As for the polars 1/2 way around the world is perhaps not the time to change such a crucial part of the game. The game is good, addictive and great fun. Save all these great improvements for the volvo! 40 days to go
moderna
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Petty Officer

Level 4

1277 / 1531
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 12 Nov 2007 Posts: 28 Location: Tacoma WA USA
Keep it simple! The track record for applying changes is not good.

The biggest change I would like is concise, advanced notice and timely communication from the admins. It is better but still hard to find.

I would like special attention on IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS made in the forum if not on the race console.

1 Advanced notice for all changes, fixes, downtime, etc.

2 A complete description of what changed

3 Report of the success of the change.

It would also be nice to have a updated list of current bugs and expected changes so we know what has been reported, recognized and status in one place and at the top of the forum item at all times.

In every case of any changes take time to test. Don't rush anything and no last minute changes before going home for the day.
moderna
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Petty Officer

Level 4

1277 / 1531
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 12 Nov 2007 Posts: 28 Location: Tacoma WA USA
I would still like to see the full track of the real boats. The meridian bug still exists for the real boats and I have yet to be able to see the track of the Boss boat.
maby
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Midshipman

Level 8

1633 / 5325
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 12 Nov 2007 Posts: 118 Location: Plymouth
voodoobitch wrote:
Sorry Jack, but I completely disagree.

An autopilot will keep you in the sweet spot so that you can go out for a few hours without having someone to watch your back or sleep at night without setting the alarm. That does much more for the game than nightly updates. And it is a little easy to say for you, as you have people covering your back all day. A lot of people do not have that luxury.

I know for a fact that you, Chris, Dennis and that group of people close together and ranked around 100 but far behind the leaders miss a lot of shifts. That is the reason you are behind and not the messy grib updates. That, everyone has to deal with and sometimes you loose, sometimes you gain.

voodoo, do you not have some one watchin your back or you did. please dont critisize those that have built a realtionship ( i am sure you will say you wernt) and we do have cover, a autopilot of sorts, and for one i am grateful Very Happy and a lot of the guys behind in the early 100's are behind beause of missing one shift and one shift only in the early hours of the morning in the early days(check and you will see). we may be a long way behind but we are still there

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Fleet Chief P.O.

Level 7

1012 / 4113
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 12 Nov 2007 Posts: 7
maby. yes it does sound a bit like critism and this from a good guy who left the game! I was 30 miles behind vodoo and fell off the back of the front. the top 50 boats never fell off it and are now 1000 miles ahead. the rich get richer. still a long way to go. bring it on.
voodoobitch
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Master Chief P.O.

Level 6

239 / 3079
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 12 Nov 2007 Posts: 332 Location: the Netherlands
maby wrote:
voodoo, do you not have some one watchin your back or you did. please dont critisize those that have built a realtionship ( i am sure you will say you wernt) and we do have cover, a autopilot of sorts, and for one i am grateful Very Happy

Did I say I did not? Of course Chris covers for me during the day as I do for him, Jack, Richard, Dennis and even you at times. Unlike some of you I have no cover at night but that is not the point now is it? The point was, that Jack's problem is not the wind, but the missed updates. And there an autopilot will help more than wind updates.

The point is also, that EVERYONE will profit more from an autopilot than from more accurate wind information. Which is not to say that it does not get on my nerves when I am stuck in a windhole all night because the BeTo people have gone to bed.

To me, priority is an autopilot, then polars (which Chris and I have been working on) and then wind.
ESEA
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Chief Petty Officer

Level 5

1241 / 2222
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 11 Nov 2007 Posts: 48 Location: Antibes France
For me an in-built auto pilot,
the pay to play one is not the spirit of this game, despite its few bugs and nuances it is a great game.

maby
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Midshipman

Level 8

1633 / 5325
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 12 Nov 2007 Posts: 118 Location: Plymouth
well for what it is worth, i would change nothing. the game started let it finish and make the changes for the next one. lessons have been learnt and the input is valuable....from everyone, even those that have quit yet still remain in the top fifty... from

a humble non sailor

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Master Chief P.O.

Level 6

239 / 3079
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 12 Nov 2007 Posts: 332 Location: the Netherlands
maby wrote:
well for what it is worth, i would change nothing. the game started let it finish and make the changes for the next one. lessons have been learnt and the input is valuable....from everyone, even those that have quit yet still remain in the top fifty... from

a humble non sailor

I assume that remark is meant at me and really the stupidity of it should forbid me to respond to it. But I can't.

I am trying to help everyone by improving the game . I regularly sail all your boats or at least Chris' and Jack's so I can see what you are all doing on their friends list.

I meant no critcism towards Jack, I was merely trying to point out that an autopilot will help him more than wind updates.
Markus
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Fleet Chief P.O.

Level 7

210 / 4113
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 11 Nov 2007 Posts: 52 Location: Belgium
I Voted for the pilot, not because this one is the most important, because all 3 issues are very important, but the pilot would be for all people who need to work ( not having an pc 24 hours a day ready ) an big improvement. At this moment it seams to be that the those how can access the site 24/7 have the most chance to win this game. Now & then the ones who take an better weather choice winning some NM on those who are sitting 24/7 catching every wind shift, but at the end of the day we are loosing those NM again because we need to go to work etc...

Best,
Markus
rsnowball
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Chief Petty Officer

Level 5

828 / 2222
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 13 Nov 2007 Posts: 27 Location: Norfolk UK
voodoobitch wrote:
gregsail wrote:
of all improvements, I think boat polars is most important. As you know, if you're not awake and miss a 1 deg shift, the TWA goes from 129 to 130 (or 139 to 140) and your boat loses 4 knots of speed.

An autopilot would solve that problem easier.

I vote autopilot!

The polars and the weather are common to everybody in the game. tweeking them, or rather fixing the perceived problems would be nice. But an Auto pilot would improve or at least change the way many of us can play the game. it adds a feature previously missing in an otherwise nearly comprehensively accurate virtual yacht race.

And you can go to bed / work / shopping etc. knowing your yacht will be somewhere else when you come back, rather than traveling at 1.2Knots on the same heading and only 5 miles away from were you left it.

Mind you it still might not be where you would like it to be. But it gets my vote
loco tibenou
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:57 am Reply with quote
Admiral II

Level 19

45661 / 175000
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 17 Nov 2007 Posts: 1776 Location: Ploermel 56 - France FR
To the autopilot defenders.
I would appreciate in reading here your specifications for an autopilot.

Thanks.

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:09 am Reply with quote
Commander

Level 12

6807 / 12056
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 12 Nov 2007 Posts: 135 Location: Spain
tibenou wrote:
To the autopilot defenders.
I would appreciate in reading here your specifications for an autopilot.

Thanks.

It could be as simple as a button to hold the current tack angle to the wind.
Nothing else, except maybe a little display with that tacking angle shown, for example:
+139º
or -45º
If I had that, I would be asleep now! Wink

Last edited by Nilguiri on Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cruzist
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:50 am Reply with quote
Able Seaman

Level 2

61 / 630
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 13 Nov 2007 Posts: 24
I'm torn between conflicting ideas. An autopilot would be a help to everyone, but I also understand the idea to change nothing until we get back to Barcelona. Any change can only generate hard feelings, with someone winning and someone losing.
I count over 15,000 posts in three languages, which is nothing short of amazing. We are learning so much about what we need and want that it makes a lot of sense to let those with the time and determination win this game, and then set the next game up with all the improvements.
I'm also not sure that an autopilot is fair without the revised polars, as we leaders will never slow down again. 30k downwind, then 30k upwind. Even in the doldrums, where the real boats had 30k squalls followed by hours of calm, we sailed serenely by at at even 6 or 8 knots average. Imagine not checking in while your boat reaches smoothly from the SE trades to the NE trades. That's just not this particular game as we play it now.
So I vote no change, but will welcome any that come along.
Zeph52
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:28 am Reply with quote
Master Chief P.O.

Level 6

2959 / 3079
i did vote for autopilot