68%
  [ 47 ]  68%

Total Votes : 69
ESEA
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:49 am Reply with quote
Chief Petty Officer
Level 5
Autopilot
Last night I went to bed after setting up my boat for the night and woke up this morning to find my boat sailing off on a very less efficient angle to the wind than when I left it Crying or Very sad this is really annoying.
Autopilot
Autopilot
Autopilot
Autopilot
Autopilot
Autopilot
Hey they have had wind vane autopilots for years this is definitely a must

stynloon
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote
Master Chief P.O.
Level 6
Several people have opposed autopilots because they would sailors to "set it & forget it". thus making it too easy. However, this is not true:

1. With a windvane pilot, if you don't check your status, you could end up shifting 180 degrees during the night. On the other hand, if you trust there will be no major wind shifts, you can sleep a few hours more and it will reduce the load on the server, which is better for everyone.

2. With a compass bearing autopilot, you will continue going the right direction, but you could lose your sweet spot and stop.

Players who stay on top of their game will still do better than the ones who only check occasionally and don't have a strategy.

Therefore, what are the real disadvantages?
Question Question
pgudat
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Fleet Chief P.O.
Level 7
faijai wrote:
maby. yes it does sound a bit like critism and this from a good guy who left the game! I was 30 miles behind vodoo and fell off the back of the front. the top 50 boats never fell off it and are now 1000 miles ahead. the rich get richer. still a long way to go. bring it on.

It can be done again though... take a look at CaptJack! He's come from 1k+ to top 100 now and still gaining. All it takes is a stall up front and the rest will catch up. Personally I've "lost" the leaders and gained the back before as well.
Chichois
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Chief Petty Officer
Level 5
I voted autopilot because:
1. i think it is the most urgent fix towards keeping the game fun without having to sacrifice everything else to it
2. it is much easier to implement than a good Ugrib fit
3. I don't care at all about adjusting polars to make the boat speed closer to reality. I am racing against the boats I can see (I see few of them by the way, and am not sure they see me..) and Paprec-Virbac is just one among them.
4. An autopilot (wind vane) will reduce the server load (I'll probably check the boat every hour or so instead of every ten minutes)
DeZeta
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quote
Admiral II
Level 19
Joined: 11 Nov 2007 Posts: 784 Location: Delft, the Netherlands NL
I give my vote to Autopilot. This will help mostly people that are not able to check boat as often as they would like.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:16 am Reply with quote
Chief Petty Officer
Level 5
Quote:
And you can go to bed / work / shopping etc. knowing your yacht will be somewhere else when you come back, rather than traveling at 1.2Knots on the same heading and only 5 miles away from were you left it.

Quote:
3. I don't care at all about adjusting polars to make the boat speed closer to reality.

hey I feel like I need to defend the "updated polars" cause now... hahaha ! Very Happy

The whole point of adjusting polars is that it will help have a smooth transition instead of those big bumps (100°, 129°, 139° under spinnaker) which ARE the main reason for boats being stopped.

With normal polars there is an optimum Boat Wind Angle obviously, but you're not penalized as much as we are in LS if we miss the 1 degree shift.

Many of certainly experienced other virtual routing games (Virtual Transat / Ocean Virtuel, VLM etc...) and played with autopilot. I had mixed experiences : when in the leading pack, you like the ability to lock on best VMG (best BWA), but if you start trailing, the objective differs slightly. You may not be interested in checking your boat every hour, rather a couple of times a day. Autopilot is no help then, as
this wind vane sends you miles and miles away from where you wanted to be.

Autopilot is more for the hardcore players, while I see updated polars as being a nice help to everyone.
Don't read me wrong : I am the hardcore type, I feel very lucky I could ride for days on that front in the Indian ocean, and am now proudly sailing with the impressive leaders. I usually don't wake up at night (and set a conservative course), have no "backup" or "illegal" auto pilot, and I would definitely benefit from an autopilot (+45, -45) around the St Helen High, BUT I still think this is not what the vast majority of players would benefit most from.

On a side note, I also see this Boat Polar update as the only practical change which could happen before the leaders cross the Cape Horn gate.

Greg
Chichois
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote
Chief Petty Officer
Level 5
gregsail wrote:

With normal polars there is an optimum Boat Wind Angle obviously, but you're not penalized as much as we are in LS if we miss the 1 degree shift.

Fair enough. But in light winds going up the Southern Atlantic, 5-10° shifts will be common. Even with the best polars, you will often find your boat stopped, unless you have some sort of a wind vane (or can afford to check the boat every 10 minutes).

To nicely curb around a high pressure cell, you need a wind vane, or frequent manual - and mechanical - adjustments which, imho, cost you a lot of attention and don't add much to the pleasure of drawing a perfect curve.
flavia prata
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:19 am Reply with quote
Junior Seaman
Level 1
I would like to be able to create a team, name it, and have the crew names with it, so that each user in the team could pilot the boat with the team username and password.
Thanks.
Get out the cab!
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Junior Seaman
Level 1
flavia prata wrote:
I would like to be able to create a team, name it, and have the crew names with it, so that each user in the team could pilot the boat with the team username and password.
Thanks.

ha ha ha ha!

good luck with that!
FALCONbe
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Captain
Level 13
Joined: 12 Nov 2007 Posts: 5123 Location: Veurne - Belgium BE
flavia,

It is possible to just share your login and password with your friends...
That's allready what happen with the "boatsitting"

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Chief Petty Officer
Level 5
ChrisBSS wrote:
Three topics improvement topics are being discussed currently, what would you like to see worked on next?

Put your comments here too.

Chris

Autopilot !

Windrosse