<  Help and Support  ~  Information on WP program and Scheduler in LS Beta player

pam86
Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
Commodore
Level 14
Joined: 28 May 2008 Posts: 5225 Location: Santiago,Chile CL
pam86 wrote:
loco del Rey wrote:
Hello,

Imagine !
you participate in a race during 15 days Rolling Eyes
It's very very very important if you lose 0.235468° Laughing Laughing Laughing

It seems to me, it most important to chose the best way Wink

Sure, of very small importance, but I have in my LS archives a very precise explanation, by a very good player, about how not to loose time at a WP Smile Smile Smile Smile Times change !
Sorry, my memory is really bad.

My archive says (trad. from French, text extracted from an image)
"this mode (Waypoint prog. mode) is very reliable to pass marks , sail along the coasts etc. without any loss in time" (FR: sans perte de temps")

I also read: "on the duration, there is no time loss ( the boat waits the end of the 10mn time slice (where the WP occurs), but recovers the waiting time, in the following slice".

This point of view is different from what has been evoked by Ard and it would be interesting if it could be confirmed or not.

JP
Suratna
Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Admiral III
Level 20
pam86 wrote:

Sorry, my memory is really bad.
My archive says (trad. from French, text extracted from an image)
"this mode (Waypoint prog. mode) is very reliable to pass marks , sail along the coasts etc. without any loss in time" (FR: sans perte de temps")

I also read: "on the duration, there is no time loss ( the boat waits the end of the 10mn time slice (where the WP occurs), but recovers the waiting time, in the following slice".

This point of view is different from what has been evoked by Ard and it would be interesting if it could be confirmed or not.
JP

Hallo JP and all Very Happy

the proof of the pudding is in the eating Rolling Eyes

So I did a test with two of my boats Suratna and Paradise
see below

the first run's NE and SE is a 10 min on WP (I sailed Paradise first south to have equal starts)
the second run's SE and NE is programmed 5 min in WP
the 3rd run's NE and SE is programmed 10 min in WP
the 4th run's SE and NE resp. is programmed 10 min in WP again.

what we learn from this: Question
- the 5 min program is for sure shorter then a 10 min programmed WP leg.
- the leg of 10 min following this 5 min leg is equal to the other 10 min runs for same heading
- the wind is quiet stable in the Pacific ocean part , though Paradise had about 0.7 kts more wind.

So for me my explanation of before is holding(if a WP is ending before an update the boat will sail till the WP location, and wait for the next update and as such loose some waiting minutes) ; the statement of JP is not proven.

I try to make a more detailed report in a google doc.
will add the link later.
Here is the link with more screen prints https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B6ID9t_vjsAZY2YyMDhjOWQtYWIyNS00MmYyLWEyMDgtMTU1MDI5N2IwZDQ1&hl=en_GB&authkey=CN_Q1KAK

Last edited by Suratna on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Admiral II
Level 19
Joined: 24 Jun 2009 Posts: 11052 Location: Tournieres, Basse Normandie. (and England) FR
Sorry all, but I conducted my own experiment with the Waypoints....Set over 20mins, First leg @ 12kts for 10mins, (2nm) then changed 90d, for 10mins @ 10kts (1.6nm)
I then rechecked after 20mins, And yes, I had covered 3.6nm...Perfect.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Commodore
Level 14
Hallberg wrote:
Sorry all, but I conducted my own experiment with the Waypoints....Set over 20mins, First leg @ 12kts for 10mins, (2nm) then changed 90d, for 10mins @ 10kts (1.6nm)
I then rechecked after 20mins, And yes, I had covered 3.6nm...Perfect.
Really perfect, your neurones equal the supercomputer in BeTomorrow office !!!! Smile))

Go on Russ ! you understood all of that messy stuff in placing your marks at 10mn; 20 +10, +10 etc.
One more time, the real clock in LS is like the old one in our farms, it advances by steps and here steps are 10mn not less.

So, one of the most urgent thing to modify in the game is to stop with that "minute" clock and use the real "10mn" one
AND perform date/time calculus with that 10mn resolution, not the actual millisecond.
The only exception being the evaluation of the time a boat crosses a finish line (linear interpolation in time between the position before and after the line)

All will be more simple for all of us and perhaps simpler and faster for the server and our client.

JP
Hallberg
Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Admiral II
Level 19
Joined: 24 Jun 2009 Posts: 11052 Location: Tournieres, Basse Normandie. (and England) FR
Neurones? I have Neurones? Wow!

I just see what I see...it seems to work so far Shocked

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Commodore
Level 14
Hallberg wrote:
Neurones? I have Neurones? Wow!

I just see what I see...it seems to work so far Shocked
20mn, only 20mn my dear !!!!!

The next chapter of the" BETA story" series will be:

"Russ and the scheduler"

More suspense, more noise, explosions, fire, more shouts than in Indiana Jones ...
A true thriller !...

JP
pam86
Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Commodore
Level 14
Hi Ard and all !

Thanks Ard for the test.
Please notice that "... the statement of JP is not proven. " must be modulated Smile

This is a statement from another player REPORTED by JP.
This to indicate that some kind of different info on that topic has been diffused without any eventual further correction by their author.

I never had a doubt on your results which are so obvious that they have not to be made if the clock would be the real one stepping from 10mn to the next 10mn.

I have to create the "10mn clock" lobby !!!!

JP
Hallberg
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
Admiral II
Level 19
Ahhhhh JP, 20nm....we can walk through Your Chilean landscapes and write a book of the adventure....You and Pam, Ard and Suratna, Me and Gabbie....I will catch wild Rabbits and Sauté them, with wild Ail and berries.... Then you will write your own Poetry, instead of worrying about a degree here or there...
The essence of Life...'Being and Conciousness, It will make no sense to anyone else, Because they did not see it' (Quote, JP Satre)

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:57 am Reply with quote
Admiral III
Level 20
pam86 wrote:
Hi Ard and all !

Thanks Ard for the test.
Please notice that "... the statement of JP is not proven. " must be modulated Smile

This is a statement from another player REPORTED by JP.

I never had a doubt on your results which are so obvious that they have not to be made if the clock would be the real one stepping from 10mn to the next 10mn.

I have to create the "10mn clock" lobby !!!!

JP

Hi JP
yeeeaah yeeaahh playing the messenger Laughing
That is pretty dangerous as normally the Messenger will be shot Shocked Rolling Eyes

Bad Idea to have the clock tick in 10min. staps Smile
Life is already too short and if you make a speeding clock , only a short time will rest us Wink

I'll stick to my good old Pendulum Clock Cool

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:37 am Reply with quote
Commodore
Level 14
Suratna wrote:
I'll stick to my good old Pendulum Clock Cool
Yes ! and your old clock steps forward each minute cling, clong, cling ....
the same in LS but "cling" each 10mn !!! Laughing

JP
pam86
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:40 am Reply with quote
Commodore
Level 14
Hallberg wrote:
....... Then you will write your own Poetry, instead of worrying about a degree here or there...
Now I'm sur you are not Scotish. A man from Scotland would have said "one minute is one minute" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
And for our experts in LS, 1mn is more than 59s and the ultimate second must be gained to WIN !!!

JP
Suratna
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
Admiral III
Level 20
I Love my Pendulum Cool

see the interaction between Acceleration and Velocity Wink

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Commodore
Level 14
Suratna wrote:
I Love my Pendulum Cool

see the interaction between Acceleration and Velocity Wink
Nice !!!! I have something like this in my apartment but it is only moved by earthquakes and if ou have a look at USGS ou will find that that pendulum moves very often !!!

One detail: Russ has noticed that the A arrow moves 1° less than the V arrow. PDT_Aliboronz_38 PDT_Aliboronz_38 PDT_Aliboronz_38 PDT_Aliboronz_38
Hallberg
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Admiral II
Level 19
Early School physics JP, easy..
Like in real Sailing, you lean the boat over too much, it slows down (that's the Drag Vs waterline coefficient, defeated by canting keels, Fabrice will agree)

Mine is fixed, optimum angle of Heel, 22degrees. Wink

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Admiral
Level 17
Oops - post in wrong thread - moved to beta thread