<  Races  ~  Alternative Friday Races

LSYC1
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
Commander

Level 12

3922 / 12056
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 11 May 2010 Posts: 1265 VG
Mike, you are turning me green with envy with your Ski reports...!

A Skier Sailing
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
Lieutenant

Level 11

3 / 10084
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 20 May 2010 Posts: 898 Location: Bedford, Nova Scotia, Canada CA
Green ? as in Way Points ? Laughing

Don't forget Russ, Martock is a small family run hill. Only 600' elevation and 5 runs. We make the most of it and have a good time. The people, like LS, make the place. Quite often I see the owner out walking his domain and quite willing to stop and chat. So it's not a big place .... the lift takes about 9m30 to get you up for the 30 sec ski back down ... if you don't waste any time. I really must check these times more carefully. One cycle is 10 minutes. Today I did 21 runs and we headed back to town.

Today was our 10th ski day this year and considering the mild weather and 90% of the snow has been man made and all the melt downs - we are quite happy with that. Conditions today and the l;ast few times have been perfect. We're tracking slightly ahead of last year. It is no Val Gardena, or Vail, but then it is 41 minutes from home.

The lights are on and nobodys there ! Shocked Shocked http://www.martock.com/webcam.php

Mike Wink

If you're not sailing ~~ you should be skiing ~ because: Life is but a big pixel jump!
Sowslo
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
Admiral

Level 17

28440 / 72555
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 24 Aug 2010 Posts: 2069 GB
Baldrick wrote:
Sowslo, orange marks? they do nothing.

Tell me about it. You can see the effect in my long march east in the 9 pack. Embarassed Put me into some stronger winds (the light winds have long since gone) so nothing to get too excited about.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
Admiral

Level 17

38327 / 72555
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 15 Jul 2009 Posts: 3227 TH
Embarassed

lucky that Mike phoned me to warn for a grounding Shocked Not that he reached me, but it must have exhausted the mobile battery as I was woken by the mobile "low battery level" signal around 22:20. so as the charger is close to the computer, I thought I might as well start the thing and check this race. I had set the purple marks to finish around 23:50 so had set thought to have a check at 23:00 anyway.
The wind change must have given a lot of extra puff , as the grounding was at least 1.5 hrs earlier than feared. Anyway , I could get her sailing quickly and one 9 min extra after the turn did the trick to make it to 2nd Laughing

to total result of AFR 15
837 (+ 2d 07h 59m 10s) GolfAiguillonsCruise Finished
841 (+ 2d 09h 40m 01s) Paradise Finished
843 (+ 2d 10h 15m 33s) Baldrick Finished
844 (+ 2d 10h 17m 55s) Sumtyme Finished
845 (+ 2d 10h 18m 30s) Foxake Finished
846 (+ 2d 10h 50m 40s) M.P.E. DESIGNS Finished

It was a fun race, constantly in the chase of Golf......but never really making any successful progress Smile
And we all gained some 20 places on other boats in the last day Wink

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Vice Admiral

Level 16

17135 / 21965
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 15 May 2010 Posts: 902 Location: Bedford, Nova Scotia, Canada CA
Ard,

We need a means of an alert horn at each of our computers that other sailors can activate if one of us appears to be in "trouble". Just like the sound we get if "we have mail" !

Mike Laughing

Suratna
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
Admiral IV

Level 21

8789 / 275000
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 02 Jul 2009 Posts: 8843 Location: Thailand TH
Mike from NS wrote:
Ard,

We need a means of an alert horn at each of our computers that other sailors can activate if one of us appears to be in "trouble". Just like the sound we get if "we have mail" !

Mike Laughing

that is a nice idea Laughing

LS should make a sound alert on a received PM. [LS now has already a setting in Profile to give an alarm message on your computer when a new message arrives. This should have a sound build in , only, to make this working Laughing ]

You will have to get your computer on with LS message system open in the account of a boat that might get wrecked and the sound system switch on at loud volume Wink (negative aspects might be that any PM to the name of the wrecked boat will wake you Rolling Eyes )

Here is how it can be done with 3rd party software:
e.g. in Skype. ( this works most likely, but I don't know other systems , with Live messenger, ICQ and whatever message system there are. )
send a message to the skipper of a wrecked boat,
that skipper should have computer on, with Skype life
Skype settings should have an alarm tone to your liking or need Wink and of course your music system should be on.
again the negative aspects will be that any message to your Skype account will wake you Rolling Eyes ;
Just give me your Skype name in a PM and if I see you wrecked, I will send a Skype message Laughing

Note: Ohhh and when your partner gets angry at me, tell him/her that I am only a messenger action on your request Wink Rolling Eyes

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
Vice Admiral

Level 16

17135 / 21965
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 15 May 2010 Posts: 902 Location: Bedford, Nova Scotia, Canada CA
So the idea has some merit ? Shocked Just don't shoot the person who might activate the system ... Laughing Laughing

Or a simpler idea is that we have each other's phone numbers if we are concerned that our boats might wreck - we would hope someone might call us!

The old fashion way might work ! Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mike Wink

Bluenose III
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:19 am Reply with quote
Acting Sub-Lieutenant

Level 9

1895 / 6722
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 12 Nov 2011 Posts: 44 Location: Drøbak Norway NO
a much simpler idea is what we have done in CK9 is to just share login info with each other so if we see an issue in a members boat we can go in and correct it. we usually send an e-mail first to ensure the boat "owner" is unaware of the situation. i.e no reply, go in and fix it. Granted that this requires a certain level of trust and some ground rules but it works pretty well for us.
Sowslo
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
Admiral

Level 17

28440 / 72555
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 24 Aug 2010 Posts: 2069 GB
The LSYC club follows a strict 'no boat sitting' rule: one skipper, one boat in the races. Especially not in the AFR where it gets very personal. Laughing For some months there was the concept of flagship to accommodate members who enjoyed the competition of races but could not sit at the controls for the 24 hours a day needed to be competitive.

The CK9 members arrived about the time the flagship races were in their final death throws. Not enough skippers felt the need for or were willing to admit that a boat was being skippered by more than one person. A pity because I myself got more pleasure from sailing the flagship than my own boat. I also spent more time working than keeping an eye on LS.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
Acting Sub-Lieutenant

Level 9

1895 / 6722
hmmmm. guess we might have to rethink our strategy then if it's seen as an unfair advantage. but then isn't any form of notification to the captain similarly unfair? if you screw up your route or schedule and don't see it too bad ?
questorscout
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
Sub-Lieutenant

Level 10

2593 / 8307
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 03 Nov 2011 Posts: 202 Location: Northern Ireland GB
questorscout is solo sailed at all times.

If she gets beached or misses a windshift that I am not awake or online to see it is my fault and my problem.

A Skier Sailing
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Lieutenant

Level 11

3 / 10084
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 20 May 2010 Posts: 898 Location: Bedford, Nova Scotia, Canada CA
Me too Q ... my boat ~ my problem ... and ohhhhh the problems !! Laughing

But if someone were to alert me that I was in trouble, I would appreciate that and take in as a kinder gesture than profiting over my misfortune or lack of sailing skill. Laughing

I usually prefer to work alone and for that reason, if I screw up I take the blame. The Flagship races were really not for me because I lived in fear of screwing up others successes for the short time I had the helm. Rolling Eyes And I wasn't of much help in these races.

I really enjoyed the races where the first 5 or 10 finishers of a club had their results going towards the race results. If you did well, you had helped the club; and if you failed at a good race then most likely the other club members did well without you. Confused win - win !

Very Happy Skier Confused

If you're not sailing ~~ you should be skiing ~ because: Life is but a big pixel jump!
Hallberg
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Admiral II

Level 19

100410 / 175000
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 24 Jun 2009 Posts: 11063 Location: Tournieres, Basse Normandie. (and England) FR
Hi all, All that is being said has already been established.

While Boat sitting/sharing is not covered within the rules, It has become accepted that for the sake of the 'Spirit of the game' it is 'One skipper, one boat' in races.
I consider anything else to be unfair. (I cannot call it 'cheating') Rolling Eyes

That said, there are people who do very well by those means.

In the cruises, it matters not, that's just a bit of Fun. I have 7 boats all over the place, But only Race one, and no-one has my P/W. As said, If I screw up, (often)
It's down to me.

It would be good to see the guys from CK9 and others join the Alternative Friday Races.... Cool

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Acting Sub-Lieutenant

Level 9

1895 / 6722
well then i guess i'll have to play fair then. in all honesty it's only worked two times to fix anothers boat for me but i see the point. i still fail to see how a warning is fair but help isn't. so i guess i'll have to play my boat that both are unfair.
Hallberg
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Admiral II

Level 19

100410 / 175000
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 24 Jun 2009 Posts: 11063 Location: Tournieres, Basse Normandie. (and England) FR
Not for me to say what is fair or unfair or cheating....We live in a free world (mostly)
and people can do what they want.
Some skippers use tools, routers, multi skippers etc...But they only gain Hollow victories. They can kiss my dogs ass.

When we set up LSYC , we set our own rules. No routers, no boat sharing (except for the flagship races, and that was the whole point)

The Level of honesty and integrity is 100% within LSYC.

It's a game, just some Fun...