<  Clubs  ~  More members for Passion vs + more non-members for Open ?

Veloce Origine CM
Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Rear Admiral

Level 15

7148 / 19179
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 04 Oct 2012 Posts: 2209 Location: Messimy (69) de Auray (56) FR
I was asked seperate Open/Passion rankings for the Club Trophy. Working on them I also looked at individual Overall rankings for both Open and Passion.

I was surprise to discover that the Top Passion was mostly club members :
  • 70% of Top 10
  • 70% of Top 20
  • 58% of Top 50

meanwhile you will have more non-clubs members among the Top Open :
  • 30% of Top 10
  • 50% of Top 20
  • 64% of Top 50

Any explanation on this observation ?

Last edited by Veloce Origine CM on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Admiral II

Level 19

95536 / 175000
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 24 Jun 2009 Posts: 11061 Location: Tournieres, Basse Normandie. (and England) FR
ENGLISH? Rolling Eyes

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Rear Admiral

Level 15

7148 / 19179
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 04 Oct 2012 Posts: 2209 Location: Messimy (69) de Auray (56) FR
Ooops : after posting under the 3 languages, I sometimes mix up !

I just editted it for translation (see Edit above).

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:21 am Reply with quote
Admiral IV

Level 21

4144 / 275000
LiveSkipper Member Joined: 02 Jul 2009 Posts: 8829 Location: Thailand TH
thanks Manu for the category comparison.

I had some problem to find the Open and Passion categories, but my club burgee leads the way : Blue is OPEN en Orange is PASSION.

it does not really surprise me that the top Passion sailors are big in club membership. these passioned sailors do honor the friendship sometimes over the race results and therefore join a club and are active in the forum.

In a comparison I did in the early days of the category , it also showed that the passion sailors were better represented in the top 10 as the open sailors, be it that the winner was mostly an open sailor; most likely does the router software help on the longer distance races.

interesting , it is Laughing

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:57 am Reply with quote
Rear Admiral

Level 15

7148 / 19179
Interesting althouhg not a rule of a thumb :
  1. The 4 best skippers from the Sail the Globe 2012 (and 80% of the Top 10) are Passion
  2. The 7 current best skippers in the Overall are all Open
I am not comparing who is best among the Open vs Passion (it currently says that Open skippers are superiors on average), but trying to understang why their would be more clubs members among the Top Passion than among the Top Open.

Concerning the distinct rankings Global / Open / Passion you requested me, I will post them from now on for the Overall and the Friday Season (and eventually the major races such as the StG) but not for every single rest (1) too much work (2) I have the feeling that too many rankings might "kill the rankings" (meaning that I don't want to overflow the skippers with these, my main aim being the club promotion and development).

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Admiral II

Level 19

128056 / 175000
Superskipper
I had a thought on your "observation" of the better passion players belonging to clubs.
It could be, that they have been with LS a while, but maybe learnt from fellow club members with more experience of LS.

There are also guys who take part in non organised races, who pick up experience that way.
I have learnt a lot from fellow club members, and also taking part on the non organised racing. I have noticed a few of the skippers in these races have progressed a lot too... and their organised racing is showing that progression.