<  Suggestions and Features  ~  Show Boat Heading in Boat Info Pane

Whitbyweather
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Chief Petty Officer
Level 5
I am very new to LiveSkipper and I am delighted to have found such an excellent game, the interface is very easy to use and well thought out.
The only thing I would like to suggest is that the boat heading could be shown underneath the speed in the pane which opens when you click on another boat,. My eyesight is not good and I have difficulty in making out the direction of boats on the display. I think it would be very easy to implement as there is a space available, and it would be interesting and useful for both beginners and top sailors too!
Please accept my apologies for making a suggestion with so little experience in the game, and a big thank you to all the sailors who have helped me feel at home so quickly! Smile

Last edited by Whitbyweather on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Fleet Chief P.O.
Level 7
don't realy understand why you want to know the boat heading Exclamation

But if you realy want.... you have speed of boat, speed of wind, the polar so you can find TWA and with the wind direction...

But in fact, the line behind the boat is enought, i think

Maybe, you are trouble because the speed of the boat you click on is the speed 10 minutes before Shocked Wink
( because the speed in real time it's impossible, don't know where the boat will go, if it turn )
so the wind speed to take is also "10 mn" before the boat position !

hope it help you Wink
Suratna
Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
Admiral III
Level 20
Whitbyweather wrote:
I am very new to LiveSkipper and I am delighted to have found such an excellent game, the interface is very easy to use and well thought out.
The only thing I would like to suggest is that the boat heading could be shown underneath the speed in the pane which opens when you click on another boat,. My eyesight is not good and I have difficulty in making out the direction of boats on the display. I think it would be very easy to implement as there is a space available, and it would be interesting and useful for both beginners and top sailors too!
Please accept my apologies for making a suggestion with so little experience in the game, and a big thank you to all the sailors who have helped me feel at home so quickly! Smile

thanks for your thoughts. No apologies, we do like new suggestions for improvement of our fantastic LS, it it especially the new skippers that have new views that can be refreshing and give new impulse to LS improvements.

However, you suggestion, to show the heading of other boats, for me, is not a good one. It takes the surprise out of the game if a clever new strategy is exposed to other battling boats as soon you make a heading change. It is, imho, good that the heading of other boats is not shown to you. You may guess their heading from the track of last hour sailing.
Contrary to this, there was once a suggestion to have a feature of stealth, where boats could be invisible for some hours , to allow them to get an advantage from an alternative course change.

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
Chief Petty Officer
Level 5
Thank you for your ideas again Saratna, you may know that VR have just introduced a stealth mode, but I think an open game encourages interaction between the players during the races. In particular it helps new players to think outside the box. I don't think not showing the heading is at all constructive, people will still just follow the best sailors anyway. Of course you can work out the heading, and the track will also show you the direction of travel of another boat, but as a beginner having the heading displayed would help me to learn! Smile
Best wishes,
Chris